Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Kickin' it solo in California

How do you survive 78-101 degree weather? Apparently this weather is just right for these Californians. Even 77 is chilly, keep your jacket handy you might need it. As for an Alaskan, THIS IS A HEAT WAVE. Give me ice, give me a milk shake, anything cold please, I need it. 

So, I told you all I'm spending spring break serving in Mexico. Nope, God said no, I'm leaving you in California with people you don't know in a place you've never been, in the heat. Good luck bud, you'll see your friends in 5 days. My passport didn't come on time, so all my friends I came with left to Mexico...and I'm in California. With people I've never met before, who knows...they can be murderers, kidnappers....or just really nice people that like Alaskans and will invite me to their home.  

It was tough. I hate adventuring on my own. Some of you see me as this really loud outgoing obnoxious person, but when it comes to meeting new people, I'm back to my shell. I'm in the corner, barely any words come out of Dolena, just this quiet person you never thought I'd be. Some of you still see me as this quiet person. 

First night, everything was just so sudden. Happened so fast. Everyone I know already left me, so I'm at this random persons house. They're asking me ridiculous questions like 'what kind of clothes do you wear? Does Alaska have cars? Do you have a dog sled? Is it true you don't get daylight in the winter?' Of course I pulled their legs a little bit and said I still live in a two story igloo and they're welcome to come anytime. But since 77 degrees is a little cold, how are they going to handle -15? It's fun sharing all these stories about home and nobody knowing anything about Alaska. I might've told them that we have moose as pets instead of dogs and that changed their mind about visiting Alaska. 

It was hard for me to do this on my own. I couldn't handle any of it without being homesick. I'm sure if I had atleast one person I know with me I'd enjoy this trip. But this was too much to take, thank God for phones so all my friends were a text away for encouragement otherwise I'd be on a plane headed home a long time ago. 

What I got so far....God has taught me to trust my whole self with him. To get out of my corner. He's taught me that through it all, he's always there. Instead of going to people to fill that empty void, to come to him. It's been a growing experience, and I still have another three days before I head back to Alaska. 

All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. John 6:37 

First In N Out
You don't see this in Alaska. 

No comments:

Post a Comment