Sunday, January 25, 2015

Trying to figure it out...

Well first of all, I started blogging! And I'm still trying to figure out how to customize everything and make a cool appearance so I can get cool readers like you. I'm into my second semester of college, I still can't get my head wrapped around the fact that I'm a college student! Currently majoring in Christian Ministry, and working on getting into flight training at MARC (Missionary Aviation Repair Center).  I couldn't be any more excited to start flying! I'm in the process of volunteering as a leader for Young Life in the area, but it's tough getting around town with out a vehicle, but I'm getting around!


Anyways, these last 2 weeks at school, I've learned so much. I'm living with one of my great friends from highschool, Kaitlyn. She's pretty awesome. Late night laughter and crazy adventures. OUR ROOM IS FREEZING because we keep the window cracked, using it as a refrigerator. Turns out its a freezer instead, we found our water bottles frozen sitting on the window sill. Alaska's winter has been crazy, we don't have as much snow as usual, but it's been snow and getting colder, I'M SO EXCITED. I've been on an adventure craze, so I drag a couple my friends out to adventure town, all the time. Living on campus, and eating cafeteria food gets really old, really fast. So I learned that when I leave home, never leave without dry fish and akutaq. Dry fish is fish that is dried for a couple days, and then smoked. Not exactly smoking and inhaling it, but smoking as you put it in a little shed with the fish hanging and a little burning fire to smoke the fish. Akutaq, is also known as Eskimo Ice Cream. It's salmonberries, blueberries, or berries of your choice mixed in whipped crisco added with sugar. Makes for a great lunch or dinner!

Flying over Nunapitchak, AK. 
Frozen Russian River Falls.
Adventures w my favs
All time best food. Akutaq and Fish





1 comment:

  1. Hooray Dolena! I'm so glad you have a "blob". That is what my grandpa used to call it, a blob. So glad now I can follow your life!

    ReplyDelete